We decided to go white water rafting. We did it on the Rio Manso in the section very close to the Chilean border. We actually finished right on the border and had to come back on the bus past an Argentinian border post.
It was an all day affair. We were picked up at 8.30 am and arrived back at 7.15 pm. It was a 2 hour drive to where we started rafting. Once there we were given breakfast and tea and coffee. It was predictably freezing so we all whined about having to get undressed and into our wetsuits. There was jostling to get closest to the heater. Here is a picture of our team. One Argentinian, 2 British boys a Mexican couple and Dale and I.
Not in the photo are: our leader Romero, his assitant - the guy who was the bus driver - we can't remember his name, and Santiago who paddled along in the safety kayak ahead of us in case we got into any trouble. The pictures are all brought to you by Jorge who raced along the route taking photos and even a video. We'd like to post the video but are encountering technical difficulties at this time.
Cute British boys wanted to sit in the front. It is where the most excitement is but we were all more than happy to oblige them. I'm sitting second left as you look at the photos and Dale is behind me. Here is a series of 4 photos as we encounter the toughest rapid called ''the hole''. At this stage all is going well and we are all working hard - other than some people on the other side of the raft who don't appear to be paddling!!
Now we are going into the hole. Have a look at the faces. Some are exilerated, some are working hard. I'm wondering how long I'll spend under water.
I was right - we're all under water. We were drenched and the water was freezing.
And now we are coming out of hole. Dale has just had the time of his life, the British boys are having second thoughts about having chosen to sit at the front and I'm wondering where I am and when I get to have a warm shower.
Ah but the surroundings were magnificent. Towards the end of our 2 hours on the river Santiago yelled out that we were in a great spot to swim and stupidly I couldn't resist. Dale and one of the British boys jumped in as well. This is when I worked out that I hadn't really been that cold up until now - but we all actually enjoyed floating along the river, being turned around in the eddies and even floating through some little rapids. I could not stop shivering when I was hauled back into the boat.
We finshed in a magical spot where we got changed - no hot shower - that would have to wait until later. We drove back to the starting point to have lunch, enjoy the scenery and laugh at the photos before driving back to Bariloche. It was a great day.
No comments:
Post a Comment